Subject: Re: [Leica] First M system choices...
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 06:32:34 +0100

Isaac Crawford wrote:

>have a couple of questions.>>>>>>>

Isaac,

By now you are aware of a number of suggestions on what to purchase, as
each has their own feelings, mostly in relation to their experience in
handling gear. So here's mine.

Without question the M6 body, (regular version -- too hard to see the 35mm
frame lines with or without glasses in the 0.85)  I wouldn't even consider
another body primarily due to the internal metering of the M6. A major plus
for the camera. And after the lenses when you can afford a Rapidwinder,
purchase a Tom Abrahamsson Rapidwinder to top off the the most efficient
camera / winding system you could use.

Lenses:

Having just worked with the new 35mm 1.4 Aspherical and it's obvious
improvement over the older model, you can immediately see a major
difference without a loupe:

  35mm 1.4 aspherical
  50mm 1.0 Noctilux (first choice over other 50mm's)
  75mm 1.4 Summilux  or the new 90mm lens. (This is a toss-up and I'd lean

       towards the 90mm)

I wouldn't bother with a 135mm on the range finder, too frustrating to
appreciate what is happening in the view finder. Use the money saved from
this one for one of the better user lenses or Rapidwinder.

Merely another selection from experience to add to your confusion! :)
However, the final choice comes down to you and I would suggest looking
through an M6 with each of the lenses attached and asses the view finder
clarity before you make the final buy.

ted