Subject: SV: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #27
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 23:17:56 +0200

> Fr=E5n: adrian bradshaw=20
>=20
> I was only reporting what my informed source divulged - I sometimes
wonder
> who or what is guiding Leica's product development given this and other
> strange developments.=20

Hi Adrian and others.
I sincerely hope that Leica's guiding light in future product development
plans can be explained in one word.  DIGITAL.

They must be R&D'ing lenses etc. for the digital market right now, and wh=
at
we are seeing is the spinoffs from that research, strange and illogical a=
it may seem in the context of chemical film.  The same logic applies to
bodies.  What digital camera, for instance, will need a winder?

Make NO mistake about this.  An almost total digital take-over is very mu=
ch
closer than many folk realise.  There is a lot of jockeying for position =
in
the old and emerging industries, and cards are being held close to the
chest. =20

There will still be a need for chemical prints if only for the massive
amount of information that can be stored/preserved in analogue format, bu=
its day is effectively over.

The future Leica will look like an SLR with a fixed focus f1.0 lens.=20
Focussing will be automatic but by tiny movements of the film/CCD plane a=
nd
not big movements on the lens.  Why? because during one exposure the CCD
will be able to focus foreground - then download the image, refocus
midground - download again, then refocus background - then download again
to produce a composite digital "frame" that can be manipulated in Photosh=
op
or whatever. =20

Half a meter to infinity DOF at f1.0 ... Thats the goal that can be
acheived with electronic imaging and the company that gets there first wi=
ns
the pot. =20

It will be Leica.  Trust me.

Alan Hull
PS I have to turn my computor off for a few days while I reposition the
cables away from my daughters little fingers.  So no flames please.