Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #31
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 23:18:23 -0500

At 11:00 AM 5/8/98 +0800, you wrote:

>Yes I have heard of the S1 and it is impressive but it is hardly Leica
>through and through - where in the Leica tradition does a state of the art

First you want Leica to have leadership, then when they do something out of
the ordinary, you say it's hardly in the Leica tradition. Give 'em a break!
:-)

>studio camera fit? and is the S1 anything more than a mock up? I mean have
>they actually put it on the market and is anybody buying it? My impression

Yes, they're selling for $16,500 USD.

>and that of the people in the business of selling Leicas I have spoken with
>is that it is nothing more than a design project. And I would have to add
>that Sinar have digital studio cameras that are streets ahead of the S1 and

How is the Sinar ahead of the S1? I've seen the stats, and being a user of
digital cameras, I'd say the S1 looks like the best thing going for what it
is. It certainly takes a much wider range of lenses, and if I'm not
mistaken has a wider dynamic range.

More flexible than the Sinar, much less expensive, and with a bigger file
in the end if I'm not mistaken. Runs on Macs and PC. It's certainly better
than the Leaf digital camera. The S1 looks like it's truly state of the art
from what I've read.

=========

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

The young child is looking in the world to find himself -
reflected in a mirror with a thousand faces.

- -Maria Montessori