Subject: Re: [Leica] R state-of-the art?
From: John McLeod <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 12:13:12 +0000

Ben,

Here's an example.  My son is walking around in my backyard.  With an F5 or
EOS1n (with Custom Function 4 On), I must point a sensor right at the
portion of my son that I want in focus.  I must then recompose -- this is
the key.  Nikon would
argue that I could first select the appropriate sensor, say the left one,
then just fire away.  An equally good argument is that it is easier, better,
more intuitive to constantly alter the composition as my son moves, focusing
simultaneously.  With a manual camera, this is very natural.  It is simply
not possible with an AF camera (in AF mode) to do this -- the focus points
will dictate and influence the composition to some degree.  If I want to be
in complete control of composition at all times, I must be manually
focusing.  An F5 will manually focus, but you have to first flip a switch on
the lens to do so -- this takes time, and more importantly, attention away
from the composition and the subject.  And once you have made the switch,
the manual focus is not as good as with an R8.  Why?  Well, the R8
viewfinder is brighter and the lens has better tactile feel.  More
important, though, is that this is the only way the R8 works, so,
practically speaking, the R8 user is going to get real good at it, better
than the user of an autofocus camera who uses the camera in AF mode most of
the time.

I don't mean to argue, by the way, the R8 is necessarily "much" better at
this.  All I'm saying is that since AF cameras are designed to do so many
things, they don't necessarily do all things better than all cameras.  I
admit that it is difficult to argue that the array of options on an F5 or
EOS1n is somehow limiting, but most photographers will pick one or two
options that they use most of the time and, in rare occasions, pick one for
a special situation.  This is great, but there is a reason that over many
years SLR manufacturers standardized on a shutter dial on top of the camera
and an aperture ring right behind the focus ring.  My Nikkormat wasn't this
way, and it was a great camera, but most manufacturers moved in the
"standard" direction over time, with a few exceptions.  The reason is that,
over many years, this is what proved to be best.

Nikon and Canon are at the cutting edge of major change.  Technology is
driving change at such a rapid rate that ergonomics will suffer to some
degree in the transition.  The old way IS an old way, but it is time tested
and damn good for many photographic applications.  Sports, power boats, and
birds in flight are another story maybe, but for many applications, the
manual approach can really work.  A skilled, experienced photographer can
get VERY good at manipulating the camera intuitively.  With the options on
an F5, you've got to be thinking about how the camera is set.  You have to
aware of this at all times.  You don't want to get caught with your pants
down with the wrong option set when the news breaks.

One more things, I like the Matrix meter on the F5, but it makes mistakes,
constantly.  It can't know what's out there or what our intentions are.
When you don't have time it's better than screwing up manually, but when you
have just a little time, it is generally better to let our brains take over.

John