Subject: Re: [Leica] Crazy idea
From: "Bryant Wetzel" <ardvarrk@diac.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 23:31:07 -0600

James, et al,
	Just a thought here about the lens manufacturing process. Lenses are
ground on an orbiting grinding machine that has a hemispherical structure.
The very best lenses come from the center of the structure. As the lenses
get further and further from the center of the orbit they become less and
less precise.
	A company like Bausch&Loumb will use the best lenses from the top/center
and then sell the others to third party manufacturers. Kind of like coffee
beans. Sort the good ones and sell the rest.
	How do you suppose Leica does this? Think they sell them to Minolta?

Regards,

Bryant