Subject: Re: [Leica] R state-of-the art?
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 17:35:41 -0300

John:

I too had an autofocus SLR and changed over to Leica SLRs last fall for
some of your reasons.  The most annoying part of using an Autofocus camera
is the delay between pushing the shutter and the Camera firing.  Just too
much computing has to go on.  I have tried an Eos 1n though and it fires
with very little delay, but not a quick as my R7 or R4.  This combined with
the focus spots makes it very hard to capture the decisive moment.
Although, unlike a Nikon, the Canon Lenses allow you to touch up the focus
and fire away without disengaging the auto focus.  This feature is part of
a lot of the Ultrasonic Motor lenses.

I went through a rethinking of my Leica choice a few weeks ago.  I am
interested in doing nature photography and wanted a long fast lens.  I then
wondered if I might be better off with a Canon Eos1n and their 400 2.8.  To
test out my theory, I took my  Tamron 300 2.8 and R7 with shoulder stock to
some field trial dog training and took some pictures of the fast moving
dogs in action.  A good percentage of them were in focus, so I figured
manual focus would do for me.  Had this been an autofocus camera, it would
not have been able to focus on the dogs quick enough to get the shots as
they entered the narrow filed of the lens very quickly and were only there
for a fraction of the time it takes an autofus to focus.  I have also heard
that other than the Canon lenses, the fopcus motors on other manufactures
large lenses are very slow.  In the end, I bought the Leica 400 2.8 with
1.4 converter.  I am glad I didn't get the Canon, I have too many nice
Leica lenses now to change systems.

Regards,

Robert Stevens