Subject: Re: [Leica] Life Mag Eisey Issue
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 17:25:47 +0100

>>Zzzzzzzzzzzz...
>>
>>I find much of the photography in Doubletake to be weak, bland, without
>>vision. I don't see every month, but when I do look, it all looks an awful
>>lot alike>>  Eric Welch

>NPR's Morning Edition had an interview with Robert Coles, co-editor of
>Doubletake.  Alex Chadwick, the interviewer, made the comment that most of
>the photographs look like snapshots that could have been made by anybody's
>brother-in-law.  Coles agreed and was very proud of that.  I agree and
>don't get it.   Tina

Tina & Eric:

I think mainstream people have forgotten nor care about good emotional
story telling photography, as they have generally been brain washed with
the insipid tabloid look and the stories of the photographers that go along
with that ilk!

The past few years and particularly this year, the image of the news
photographer & photojournalist has gone down hill dramatically!  Due to our
image on TV, that have portrayed the "photographer" as some kind of
Neanderthal lusting for money and to hell with privacy!

Adding to that, the present crop of mental midget editors (Eric no offense
intended as there are a "few out there who know the difference between
good, bad and ugly!) :)  and art directors who graduated from art schools
being directed by "they couldn't make it on the street" teachers and we
have the mental visual delinquents today creating and laying out the
magazines of the world!

Topped off with the bean counter crowd primarily interested only in the
"bottom line" and moron owners who listen to the bean counters and the hell
with quality and story telling photojournalistic impact!

I mean, if crap sells, use crap and to hell with quality!

Hopefully we will find a change for the better as we go into the new millinium!

ted