Subject: Re: [Leica] Doubletake
From: bfranson@greennet.net (Bill Franson)
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 00:18:18 +0000

>>NPR's Morning Edition had an interview with Robert Coles, co-editor of
>>Doubletake.  Alex Chadwick, the interviewer, made the comment that most of
>>the photographs look like snapshots that could have been made by anybody's
>>brother-in-law.  Coles agreed and was very proud of that.  I agree and
>>don't get it.   Tina
>
>Word herders. Idiots.

I just flipped through five issues of Doubletake to double check whose work
is appearing between the covers: Paul Dmato, Lee Friedlander, Nicholas
Nixon, Helen Levitt, Thomas Roma, Bill Bamberger, Anthony Benboza, Jerry
Bernt, Gilles Peress, Margaret Sartor, Jeff Jacobsen, Debbie Fleming
Caffery, Gary Winogrand, Mary Berridge, Judith Joy Ross. Not an
unimpressive list of names. Quite a wide range of styles, formats. I wish I
heard the interview. I can't imagine Robert Coles simply agreeing. Compared
to other journals, Doubletake is, to my mind, "quiet". It isn't agressive.

Bill Franson