Subject: Re: [Leica] Doubletake
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 07:34:54 -0500

At 12:18 AM 5/9/98 +0000, you wrote:

>unimpressive list of names. Quite a wide range of styles, formats. I wish I
>heard the interview. I can't imagine Robert Coles simply agreeing. Compared
>to other journals, Doubletake is, to my mind, "quiet". It isn't agressive.

Yes, there are some good ones in there. Nixon, that's the guy who does
candid photography (so it seems) with an 8x10 camera. :-)

If he could say that about Helen Levitt (who manipulates her subjects, but
they're still interesting to look at) Gilles Peres, Friedlander, and the
rest who are good to great photographers, it seems he doesn't get it. Or
maybe what he's saying is that the photography is without pretense? In
other words, the intent is not to be artistic, just honest? That I could
see is a useful, and interesting way to look at documentary photography.
But snapshots is not the word I'd use. Maybe less than sensationalistic
would be a better description. Quiet is good.

=========

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

Police tagline.  Do not cross.