Subject: [Leica] state-of-the-art
From: Ben <ben@teco.net>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 05:55:37 +0000

>I haven't dome much with sports or power boats but I've photographed birds
>in flight on many occasions and the "new way" will work for the slower,
>more predictable birds such as herons and hawks but I've found that for
>flight shots of swallows (U.K.: martins) and swifts I have enough trouble
>keeping the bird in the field of view it seems unlikely that an AF sensor
>could be kept on the critter.  The 400 f/6.8 Telyt has been quite
>uccessful for me.  Needless to say, the Telyt has also worked quite well
>for the slower birds.

"Seems unlikely" ???

Well, Moose Peterson - Well known photography writer and wildlife
shooter - he has his own wildlife stock agency for his own pics - and
also well known HATER of AF and big critic of AF tried out an F5 last
year.

He's now completely converted, even going to the extent of getting rid
of all his lenses just to replace them with AF. He says he simply gets a
lot more good shots relying on AF. Read it on his web page if he's still
got it there. If an expert can't MF better than the camera, then I can't
see how the rest of us can.