Subject: Re: [Leica] state-of-the-art
From: Shawn London <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 14:43:34 -0500

Ben wrote:

>He says he simply gets a lot more good shots relying on AF.

He might get a higher percentage of keepers, but are his photos really
any better because of AF?

> If an expert can't MF better than the camera, then I can't see how the rest
of us can.

The resolution centers around choosing one's battles.  While I admire
that somebody like Ted can shoot sports with an R8, I prefer to confine
my use of manual focus equipment to landscape shooting, portraiture, etc.

The bottom line in this whole discussion is that if you don't shoot
sports and fast moving subjects all the time, manual focus will suit your
needs quite well.  In addition, many LUGers have pointed out, you can
obtain better theoretical focus manually than through autofocus.