Subject: Re: [Leica] Slide mounts -- glass?
From: rurmonas@senet.com.au (Richard Urmonas)
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 08:23:28 +0930 (CST)

> Hi all,
> maybe slightly off topic but come to think of it, not: after all the slide
> projector is Leica, too! Anyway, after starting out with Leica glass on the
> picture taking side, too (after many years of enjoying it only in the
> projector) I got dissatisfied with very unwanted, very un-bokeh lack of
> sharpness. Slides that looked gorgeous on the light table under a 4x loupe
> looked awful on the big screen. Got myself a pack of Gepe LKM glass mounts
> (1.9 mm so they fit in LKM trays -- anybody using these?). Stunning
> results. I'm wondering what you people out there use for slide mounts.
> Glassless, single or double glass? If double glass, how long do you wait
> before you commit your freshly developed slides to glass? Decades ago,
> conventional wisdom seemed to suggest that you wait for at least to weeks
> to let them dry out completely; I've heard that nowadays, with much
> improved chemistry involved, there is no need for this awkward grace
> period. TIA! -- Dieter
> Dieter Stoll                  D-72127 Kusterdingen, Germany
> dstoll@tuebingen.netsurf.de   Home fax: +49-7071-368520

The general wisdom on 35mm slide mounts is to use glassless unless the
slides are likely to be roughly handled (e.g. slides used for lectures).
The important thing with either mount is that the film should be held at only
one point.  This allows the film to expand from the heat without buckling.

Glass mounts have the problem that they enclose the film in an air pocket
which promotes the growth of fungus.  I have also had problems with
old slides "sticking" to the glass.

Richard Urmonas
rurmonas@senet.com.au