Subject: Re: [Leica] CTX5000-What would you do??
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 16:16:00 +0100

Jeff wrote:

>All this talk about the new x-ray machines has me spooked about what film to
>carry on an upcoming trip! >>>>>

Jeff,
this new 5000 machine is for scanning ___"checked baggage"___ not carry on.
I'd carry all the film by hand.  Take the film out of the plastic
containers and load them (20 or 30 rolls)into zip lock clear freezer bags
and carry on board. Take extra freezer bags with you and as you expose the
film put them into new bags for the return trip home.

Do not under any circumstance put film in your checked luggage!!! At the
moment there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to where these new
machines are installed throughout the world. The American FAA is very
tighted lipped about it, which is actually foolish, apparantly the
manufacturers have a web site listing cities where some of the machines are
installed in the US. Sorry I don't know the web page address.

The freezer bag thing is the safest and easiest and I've used it for years
and never had any problems. better to carry 100 rolls on board than have it
scanned to shreds while in your checked bags.

ted