Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R state-of-the art?
From: "Bryan Willman" <bryanwi@seanet.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:35:17 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ben <ben@teco.net>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sunday, May 10, 1998 4:28 AM

>"Bryan Willman" <bryanwi@seanet.com> wrote:
>
>>So an Eos1n or Eos1nRS are intended
>>to be driven by auto-exposure and auto-focus.
>>You don't drive the camera, you drive the controls
>>for the AF and AE and let them drive the camera.
>>This works well.  It's really not "intended" that
>>you check a hand meter or try to outguess the camera
>>meter or autofocus, but rather, that you adjust their
>>behavoir.
>
>Gee, this is so... what's the word I'm looking for.. Ridiculous?

I see that Ben and I will be close friends....

Yes, you can use an Eos in manual mode.  You can manual focus
the 300F4LIS with IS turned off.  You could also guess at focus
with your M6 by ignoring the rangefinder.  Neither of these behavoirs
makes much sense.

My point (2nd try) is that different camera systems are optimized or
tuned for different usage patterns.  The Eos1n[RS] isn't just a fine
automatic
camera, it's a finely tuned one, that allows you to *use it* in automatic
mode and make it do the right thing.  The M6s claim to fame is that
it's a really *well tuned* manual camera.  They are just tuned differently.

In any case, since there are both RS bodies and M6 bodies in my
closet, I use what seems right at the moment.

And I will now stop commentary on this rather off-LUG topic.

bmw