Subject: [Leica] "basic" questions and some comments to "Japanese camera" arguments
From: "Tom Kumagai" <kumagai@po.cnet-ma.ne.jp>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:24:50 +0900

Hello, I am Tom Kumagai from Japan.

I am a user of Leica IIIf (Nr. 5933XX). I use it with Summicron 5cm F2.

Being an amateur M Leicas are very expensive, but all of us know how
attractive they are. It is not
unaffordable. I fell in love with Summicron Bokeh and how the light-source
blurs when the apperature
is wide open, and everyone knows where it is focused, it's very sharp.

I would like to know more about Leica M's compared with its predecessors. If
you would please tell me
where to find out the differences. I am too isolated from the big cities to
see the real M3,M2,M4 or M6.
I understand the major difference is made by the state-of-art briteframe
finder and "M" bayonette mount.
but I know nothing else...

- ----------------
I would like to ask you why some of you are picking on my country, being an
amateur I don't know much,
but at least I can say that Nikon, Canon,and Pentax are one of the best 35mm
cameras available.
Not to mention Minolta. Some of you consider that Japanese manufactures'
imitating Leica/Contax
technologies are big deal, but I remember Russian, British, and even
American manufacturers were
manufacturing SM Leica copies like Fed, Reid, and KARDON. (At least I can
say that today's Japan makes
better 35mm cameras than these countries) Why you accuse just Japanese
manufactures for it? At least
Japanese manufactures utilized and improved(in their point of views, though)
the Leica or Contax concepts, and
that evolved to some incredible mechanism like  quick-return-mirror SLR's
and copal square shutter unit. And
Japanese manufactures are the ones who made photography available for
ordinary mom and pops. Do you call
Nikon F as an imitation of Exacta or Contax S? Or is it by any way close to
SM Leica or even M3? Nikon F is
also a state-of-art camera.

I understand some Japanese don't know how to do the business or trading. I
understand Japan itself has
committed a crime and still denying it (We are working on changing the
government's direction, and it's a
time-consuming process - well it's not a good place to talk about it.), but
please don't bring that up to here.
Or are you becoming racial??

We as consumers in Japan know what Leica is and what Leica means to
photographers. We understand
historical significance, we understand their natures of sharpness and
bokeh(in fact it's a Japanese term), and
we understand its durability and pleasure they offer us when we use them,
smooth winding, feel of releasing the
shutter, gentle noise, right weight, and its metalic feelings. And
craftmanship. We understand Leica has the nature what our manufactures have
lost and even more.

BTW I use Leica and Contax(Hey, my another snapshooter prospect "Aria" is on
market now...) because I like
the lens. Plannar and Summicron are very different, but both are good.(and
both are German...)