Subject: [Leica] some comments to "Japanese camera" arguments
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 00:07:39 -0400

At 11:24 AM 5/11/98 +0900, Tom Kumagai wrote:
>I would like to ask you why some of you are picking on my country, being an
>amateur I don't know much, but at least I can say that Nikon, Canon,and
Pentax
>are one of the best 35mm cameras available.  Not to mention Minolta.
>Some of you consider that Japanese manufactures' imitating Leica/Contax
>technologies are big deal, but I remember Russian, British, and even
>American manufacturers were manufacturing SM Leica copies like Fed, Reid,
>and KARDON. (At least I can say that today's Japan makes
>better 35mm cameras than these countries) Why you accuse just Japanese
>manufactures for it?

I don't recall reading any Japan-bashing messages of late on the LUG, Tom,
but I do delete a lot of traffic unread.  If any have appeared, I am
certain it was unintented:  we are a rather polite group here, for the most
part.

The English and Americans made legal copies of the Leica designs in the
Reid and Kardon, as the patent rights in those countries passed to the
governments when German assets were seized at the outbreak of the War.  The
Soviets made legal copies of the Leica designs AFTER the War, as they
acquired this right, by allotment from the Allied Control Commission's
Committee on Optical Reparations (by which organization LHSA's Emil Keller
was employed when he ran the Leitz plant at Wetzlar in 1945 and 1946).
(The Prewar FED was an outright theft, much akin to the Nikon RF and Nikon
and Canon LTM lenses, and deserves equal scorn.)

The Asahiflex IIb, incidentally, on which the instant-return mirror first
appeared in Japan, was a pretty blatant theft of the Praktica FX design,
again made without compensation to the patent owners.   But, by 1954, KW
had become part of VEB Kamera-Werke Dresden-Niedersedlitz which was East
German, and hence no one in the West would help to protect those rights and
welcomed the Japanese encroachments.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!