Subject: Re: [Leica] Solm's Lack of Quality
From: LEICAMAN56 <LEICAMAN56@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 10:49:36 EDT

I'd like to add my two cents to the QC problems.

In my 15 years of selling Leicas, I have only had three defective items during
that time.  One was a 28 M with a bad focus ring, another was a M6T with a
defective frame counter, and a chrome M6 a few years back with a defective
shutter.  That's it.  I guess I should consider myself lucky.  Leica took care
of this immediately, no questions asked.

I've owned an 80/1.4 R for about ten years.  Wonderful lens, never had a
problem with it.  Again, I must be lucky.

I will agree with Don Chatterton on the quality problems with other brands.  I
have had many more problems with other brands, especially P&S cameras, where I
had over a 50% failure rate on one model.  The response I got from that
company was an argument until they agreed to a return of the cameras, and I
eventually dropped that line.

In all my dealings with Leica, they have always been more than willing to make
good and provide excellent service.  Even when the situation is questionable
and they could have just as easily taken a position contrary to a customer's.

Could not some of these supposed QC problems be attributed to damage incurred
in transit?  Some of the packages I've received over the years have been
heavily damaged during shipping and I could not fault the manufacturer for
this.

Perhaps things in Solms are not as they were 30-40 years ago in Wetzlar, but
then again what is?  Name another company that has not changed over the years,
in many instances for the worse.

As long as Leica is more than willing to stand behind their product and
provide excellent service, they have my vote of confidence.

Bill Rosauer