Subject: Re: [Leica] Rookie Question
From: Peter Goldberg <peterg@martinhamblin.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:49:28 -0400

John H. Haugaard wrote:

> the inside of the glass on the front of the viewfinder is, for a lack of a better term, a bit dirty.  Not chunky, mind you, but there is a sort of mottled, hazy appearance to it.  I'm not sure how that would happen, and as far as I can tell, there is no appreciable affect on the clarity of the viewfinder.  But, I'm relying on a lifetime sample size of one in making that assessment. Should I be concerned?
>
> This camera was not sold as mint or ex+, but rather as ex in quality, and I am willing to accept a camera in less than perfect condition.  But if this crosses the line from cosmetic to operational I want to be able to consider it wisely.

This is not unusual at all, depending on where the camera has been used or stored.  Assuming it is not something "organic"  it is usually caused by moisture laden air drying out, leaving a dirt film on the inside of the glass.  Easy to rectify by a technician, but does involve removing the top plate.  Leica charges about one hour labor for this.

Peterg