Subject: Re: [Leica] Once More Into The Breach, Dear Hearts
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:17:46 -0400

Marc James Small wrote:

SNIP

> Because the thefts occurred in 1947 and 1948 and 1949, when Zeiss, which
> had to relocate from East Germany to West Germany, was all but bankrupt.
SNIP

> Marc

Marc,

Just curious. I have an Army surplus enlarger modeled almost identically
after the Omega D2 and manufactured by Belfort Instruments. It came with
three lenses, one of which is a Tessar 4.5/135 inscribed Carl Zeiss Jena
around the front element. On the back retaining ring it says "Lens made
in Germany (East)". I always found it interesting that the U.S. Military
would purchase Iron Curtain manufactured lenses for equipment that the
Signal Corps was using for everything from PR to intelligence
photography. Your thoughts and knowledge would be appreciated, as
always.

Carl S.
- --
Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.