Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #44
From: Christian Becker <chribeck@mdc-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:10:18 +0100

Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com> wrote:
>Leica R3: the first electronic Leica.  It has averaging or selective
>metering, in aperture-priority or manual modes.  A seperate model,
>the R3 MOT, accepts a 2 frame/sec winder.  The R3 and all newer R-
>bodies use 3-cam, 3rd-cam or ROM lenses.  Flash sync: 1/125 sec.

The flash sync on R3/R3mot is 1/90 sec. The averaging metering is
centre-weighted.

>Early production of the R3 and R4 bodies had serious reliability
>problems.  I suspect that any R3 still functional is free of these
>problems because the trouble usually showed up right away.

The R3mot drivetrain is better build (to withstand the forces upplied by
the winder) than R3 ones. Minolta-based or not, still a rugged and
reliable design, sensitive meter, no rounded edges in the viewfinder
(like in the Leicaflex models), still servicable. Underestimated by
collectors, therefore a cheap way to use Leica lenses.

Christian