Subject: Re: [Leica] Japanese Inventiveness
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:57:56 +0200

> Fr=E5n: adrian bradshaw=20
> =20
> I think you will find that the Japanese (Sony) invented the floppy driv=
and
> the leading technology for computer monitors (Trinitron tubes) - and th=
ey
> are inventors of the current state of the art memory devices.=20

- ------------------------------
Adrian, Wrong, wrong, wrong on all three.  Who's side are you on :-) =20

The floppy disk is just a small version of a Sperry product.  Canadian
subsiduary because in the Ontario Science Museam there is the original an=
it is about three feet across.  IBM, Burroughs, CDC etc all had disk pack
factories working on getting them smaller.

The Trinitron Tubes, a departure from normal CRT tech was developed by RC=
(Radio Corporation of America) in a defence contract for the United State=
Navy.  I have no idea how Sony got hold of it.

The US is the world leader in chip manufacture, but here the lines get
blurred because of subsidiary involvement, and the enormous pace of memor=
chip development.

I am working from memory as I am in my summerhouse with no reference book=
so feel free to check it out. =20

The sun is shining and I have a darkroom to build, isn't that typical, if
not topical.

Best regards=20
Alan Hull
=20