Subject: [Leica] Separate non-wideangle viewfinders
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 14:36:02 +0200

There are a number of separate viewfinders for Leica cameras, which are
not for wide angle lenses.  I'm thinking of the 50mm, 90mm and 135mm
VFs that sit in the acessory shoe and have quirky names, such as
SGVOO.

Are these of any use to the normal photographer?  I've read Eastland's
book "Leica M Compendium", where he talks about their virtues, but I
think I fail to see the point.

They're not coupled to the lens, right?  So refocusing will not show
up in the viewfinder, right?  Seems like a disadvantage to me.

Since the framelines for 50mm, 90mm and 135mm exist in the normal RF/VF,
why the need for the separate VF?  (OK, 135mm not in M2...)

Since it sits in the acessory shoe, it can get knocked off, lost and
trampled upon, right?

Help me out here: I just don't "geddit".  Are they just quirky pieces
of Leica history, or is there a practical use to the practising Leica
photographer for these devices?

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just DOHH it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho