Subject: [Leica] RRS QR plate, again
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 11:25:27 -0600

After finally shaking off the worst of what was either a bad head cold or
some sort of flu, I finally managed to get out with the M systems,
carbon-fiber Gitzo and Arca B1 ballhead. It is very typical of me to get up
in the predawn hours and walk maybe 40 minutes to the site, and the carbon
fiber difference was very significant on my back and shoulders! I probably
should look into a photo backpack someday, too.

In a prior post, I had noted the arrival of a #B30 Leica M plate from Really
Right Stuff, commented on it's excellent finish, and complained that it was
largish, and that maybe the Arca B1 was overkill for such a tiny camera: I
love the combo now!! It's just about the handiest, unfussiest setup I have
had the pleasure to use. The Arca's progressive friction means that the
tension can be left loose enough that the Leica seems certain to flop
around, but it doesn't, so precise alignment is easy. This tripod has what I
consider to be a genuinely useful center column, and for me, it brings the
eyepiece of the M right up to a comfortable level. I want to stick a small
bubble level on it somewhere.

For what it's worth, the B30 appears to leave no marks on the baseplate, and
is infinitely better protection than an adhesive plastic sheet :-)

I may yet buy a smaller tripod for travel, but for most purposes, it looks
like the B1/1228 combo is a winner, even with the little M system.

Jeff