Subject: Re: [Leica] no one can help on this one?
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 13:24:07 -0700

Hey, thanks for the GREAT response.....this is why I love the LUG!

So you use a Nikon SB-26 on your M6?  So I guess you really do have
to buy a bigger, more expensive flash to get a little bit of extra
functionality,
even on an M6.  On the flash I have, a Nissin $40 unit, there is a dial for
the
film speed and a scale that says what f-stop you need for a particular
distance.
I tested it with the flash meter though, and the light output does not change
just because I move the ISO dial.  Whether the flash is at ISO 25 or 800, it
puts out the same light.  By placing the softbox on the flash, I cut 1 to 1.5
stops of light.  This is a useful thing, but if you say that a more
feature-laden
flash will let me do the same thing without the softbox, I will have to
give it a try.

At 12:28 PM 5/13/98 -0700, David Medley wrote:
>Francesco,
>
>Change the ISO film speed rating on the flash. The flash does not know what
>film you are using.
>
>Example:
>
>If you are using ISO 100 in your camera and you dial ISO 200 into the flash
>unit it will give you approximately 1/2 the light output that you would
>normally need. It will take some experimentation to get the ratios that you
>want but it will work.
>
>Get a Rosco sample gel pack and cover about 1/3 of the flash head with the
>warming color that you want and it will blend right in with the ambient. I
>find the #3409 - 1/4 CTO  to be about right for me in most lighting
>situations.
>
>For a flash unit it use a Nikon SB26. It is bigger than I like and I will
>look for something smaller one of these days. The advantage of this unit (
>and probably with lots of them if I would look ) is that on manual mode I
>may dial in any f stop that I choose. I am not limited to just 1, 2 or 3
>stops like so many of the smaller units. I will dial in from f 1.4 to f64.
>You may also dial in full power down to 1/64 power if you desire. I
>understand that this unit is designed for automatic TTL with the Nikon
>brand but in manual mode with the sensor mounted on the flash it also does
>wonderful things.
>
>The biggest part of the whole process is to experiment and see what works
>best for you in your situation. Once you have the mechanics down it will be
>duck soup,  more so in your situation because you have tight control over
>the subject and you have a little more time in which to work.
>

>I did see your original post by the way but assumed someone with much more
>knowledge would jump in.
>
>Cheers,
>David Medley
>Whidbey Is.   WA
>USA
>dmedley@whidbey.net

>> From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
>>
>> The flash I am using does not allow for altering the flash output.

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions
webmaster@5senses.com

http://www.5senses.com/