Subject: Re: [Leica] no one can help on this one?
From: "Bryan Willman" <bryanwi@seanet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 12:38:08 -0700

hmmm.

I *think* what you are asking is:

    How do I get flash underexpsure, to get a nice
    fill, with ambient light.

What you care about is the RATIO between the
ambient light and the flash.  You must control this
with the flash unit, NOT the camera.

Notice that this will only work if the ambient and flash
lighting levels are relatively close (2 or 3 stops)  If flash
is 9 stops more powerful than ambient, you'll just
get flash exposure.

To change the power of the flash relative to other light:
a. Move the flash off the camera and back it up
b. Bounce it off something
c. If it has good power controls, use those.  Notice
    that on a low-end auto-flash, there are typically only
    one or two power ranges.  The "settings" are just
    a distance/f-stop lookup for one of the ranges.
   A flash like an SB26 lets you actually change the *power*
    (as will any studio head.)

You will typically end up making multiple measurements
of ambient and flash light falling on various parts of the subject,
and then computing the exposure so that the highlights and
lowlights fall in the recording range of the film.

There are books about this, I've yammered long enough here.

I hope I've answered what you were trying to ask!

bmw