Subject: Re: [Leica] advise needed: field darkroom
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 20:08:50 -0700

I seem to recall reading (maybe in Photo Techniques a year or so ago) that
one of the inventors of Perma Wash worked out the sea water angle while
doing some volunteer work at the Pacific Fleet's photo archives before World
War Two. He noticed that the prints that came in from shipboard darkrooms
seemed to have less staining and other signs of residual fixer, and found
out they'd been at least partially washed in sea water. He took a small boat
way out of Pearl Harbor to collect some clean samples of water, and took it
from there.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.