Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar
From: edwardk9@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Edward Kowaleski)
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 09:31:06 -0400 (EDT)

> 	I know there has been some talk on the LUG of some tests of this lens but
> has anyone out there actually bought one and have opinions of it in day to
> day use?  Perhaps I should also ask if it is actually available yet.
>
> Ian Stanley

I bouight one and have made moderate use of it.  I did make some
comparison pics at 28mm, 355mm, and 50mm with a 35 1.4 S'lux (non-asph),
50mm S'cron (latest version), and a 2mmm Elmarit (2nd veersion).  I took
pics of my daughter in bright sunlite at about 10' at f4, f.5.6, and f8.
I printed 8x10s (focatar II 50mm enlrg lens on a Omega 4x5 enlrg).  Not
very scientific but it always seemed to me that the proof was in the
pics.  Results:  I couldn't see any difference at f5.6 or f8.  At f.4 the
28 mm seemed slightly more contrasty, the 35 and 50 prime lenses have very
very slight
improvement in detail in the shadows -- however this got pretty
subjective.  The film was Kodak 100 Royal Gold.

I like the lens (I have to justify its purchase!) for cutting down carry
around lens weight.  In f.5.6 light situations it is really good.  Hope
this helps.

Ed Kowaleski