Subject: Re: [Leica] Do you want flash with that, sir? Yes, and more : a future
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 06:07:26 -0700

Alan Ball wrote:

> On Thursday, May 14, 1998 8:11 PM, Five Senses Productions
> [SMTP:fls@5senses.com] wrote:
> > I personally like both kinds of images....fill and non-fill, depends upon
> the
> > situation.  If you want TRUE reality with an M6 and fast lenses, you must
> > never use flash or anything artificial.  Now that's hardcore
> photography.....
>
> And never use filters, never tweak burn in at print time, never use films
> that may have a 'flattering' colour bias (that means no colour pictures),
> never crop a print, never use reflectors, never play with Photoshop, etc.
> Flash is nothing more than 'bending' the light to the picture's advantage
> at shooting stage.
<snip>

The use of flash can alter the mood of the subjects being photographed.
Whether this happens depends on the scene.  Flash is active, subjects
are very aware of what is happening, filters, passive.

Flash has a place, but what I think some are saying is that it doesn't
fit the scenes they are photographing.

Dennis