Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: What's the truth about the ROM ?
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 20:52:21 +0100

Pascal wrote:

>Translation:
>"Of course, the new Apo Lens has an electronic ROM strip
>for tranfer of data and an electronic exposure correction
>with the R8."

>Lucien, I don't think you should be looking for "ghosts".
>There is nothing new here that is not already in the
>R8 owner's manual.

Pascal,

I don't find the word "correction" in my (French) owner manual.

My real questions behind this, are:
Why is Leica so vague about what exactly is transmitted
by the ROMs ?
And what are their future possibilities ?
Is the focusing distance transmitted ?
Etc...

For the moment, I have to say that I don't see any
convincing reason to convert all my lenses.
The size of the 42 MZ3, discourage me to use the R8
with a flash.
When I know that I will need a flash for a reportage,
I'll take my Nikon AF + 2 zooms + SB 26, et voilą !
(+ M6 with 50/1,4 for B&W) ouf !

The day the R system will offer a Flash "ą la SB 28"
(size, weight and manual + automatic fill-in correction)
and a very good focusing confirmation system, or better,
an AF system like the Contax AX, I will sell immediately
all my N.AF system.
;-)
...Maybe I'll wait also for a 35-90/2,8, 20-35/2,8,
a more portable 80-200/2,8, and a small, silent and powerfull
motor.(4/is + single and 4sec rewinding)(in the winder size)
:-)

Don't misunderstand me, I prefer, from far, the results
the R8 give me for travel, landscape and available light
photography with 80/1,4 etc..
But when I have to deliver because I unconsciously promiss
good results to friends for wedding,
party or back stage reportage, I only trust my N.
(shame on me)
;-(

Lucien