Subject: [Leica] 35 'DR' Summilux
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 20:23:08 +0000

Hi Friends

I had the opportunity to use a 35 (non-ASPH) Summilux and I shot the same
scene stopping down from f1.4 to f16.  These are my impressions.

At f1.4, the picture was soft, lacking in contrast, "not that sharp", and
has that ethereal look which reminds me of the shots which were taken
decades back when uncoated lenses were used. And don't I just love that
corner vignetting which I think can be an artform in itself.

At f2, the attributes are not as pronounced as at f1.4.  Corner vignetting
is just about discernable.

From about f2.8/f4 onwards, I could hardly tell the difference between the
pictures taken with this lens and my Summicron used at the same aperture.
In short, my impression is that this lens has a unique personality when
used at large apertures.

The new kid (ASPH version) in the block has certainly lots to offer.
However, depending on your style of photography, this old dog (non-ASPH
version) cannot be replaced either.  Imagine one can either crank this lens
wide open to create the mystic moods when the need arises or stop down to
bring out pictorial sharpness and contrast when the situation demands it.
One can say that it is capable of Dual Roles.

Although I do not have one, I think those folks who have the non-ASPH 35
Summilux have a gem of a 'DR' lens in their hands.

Dan Khong