Subject: Re: [Leica] 180 f2.8 apo comparison
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 07:01:35 +0100

Andrew Jordam wrote:

<<<<<<However, has any one of the users compared this lens  with the 180mm
f3.4 apo-telyt?Apart from the the half f-stop gain and the closer focusing
is there any improvement in sharpness and color rendition with the new apo
lens?>>>>>>

Hi Andrew,

One thing right off, the 2.8 180 focuses much closer and can use the 1.4 to
make it a better working tool, that alone is a significant reason for
switching to the 2.8 180 as I did with the earlier version. As far as the
1.4 goes that doesn't apply to the newest 180.

I believe Tom Donovan has said from the results of his comparison, the new
Apo180mm 2.8 is significantly improved. But to compare the 3.4 and the Apo
2.8 is more than comparing apples and oranges, as they truly are "two
different" designed lens for different applications, making it difficult to
make an objective comparison.

However Tom mau have a comment on this later.

ted