Subject: Re: [Leica] 135M and 180M (and 75)
From: LEICAMAN56 <LEICAMAN56@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 01:22:15 EDT

Kip,

I agree with your endorsement of the 135/2.8 for theater photography.  This is
perhaps the best use of this lens. You might be interested to know that Leitz
Canada did a prototype 180/3.4 APO M lens with goggles a number of years ago.
I think they made something like 6-12 examples of this lens, and oneof these
was shown a few years ago at an LHSA annual meeting.

Tom A. and I have been pushing this lens and a 75/2.4 APO (which Leitz Canada
also did a few prototypes of) every time we see someone from Leica Germany.
We see these two lenses as the logical extension of the M system.  The 75
would be an ideal travel lens and the 180 would give the M system some real
reach.

What do you say LUGgers?  Would these lenses be interesting - and saleable for
Leica.  The R & D has been done already, so it shouldn't take too much to dust
off the designs and get them into production.  If Leica is listening, let's
get the ball (or red dot) rolling!  Let's exercise the power of the LUG.

Bill Rosauer