Subject: Re: [Leica] Discount for LUGers - not with me
From: ATanabe <ATanabe@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 14:25:35 EDT

<< Given the poor state of Leica sales (come on, let's be real, Leica has
 perhaps, 4 real (non P/S) dealers in Oregon (the capial of mail order
 because we lack a sales tax) down from 15 or so in 1990) and of these
 dealers...

 Suburban has one M6 and three lenses
 Pro Photo has one M6 one R8 and a couple lenses
 Citizens has no new Leicas or lenses in stock
 Camera World (yes the huge mail order company) has an R7 an R8 an M6 and a
 few lenses

I believe Citizens may not be a Leica dealer anymore due to lack of sales
volume.  Suburban dropped the R line for the same reason.  Points to Jeff
Alfords' coment about supporting your local dealer and paying a little more
for the service.  If you wish to be able to handle the lense or camera before
taking the plunge, it will require your support from the local level.  By the
way Camera World is a very large dealer for Leica and does not give additional
discounts beyond MAP.  My local dealer does on occasion give me a break and I
get to inspect the goods before purchase.  I also get to know about trade ins
on gear that I have my eye on when he gets it in.  Benefits to me far excede
buying grey market mail order (hassel with returns/problems) to save some
money.
Al