Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Enlargers
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:27:26 -0700

>George Huczek wrote:
>
>> How do the prints made on the Epson Stylus printer compare to those made in
>> the conventional manner using an enlarger?
>>
>> -GH

My personal opinion is that it's a trade-off. A trade-off as to whether you
like to work in a darkroom, or whether you like to sit in front of a
computer. For the price of the computer equipment (scanner, computer &
Photoshop, printer + supplies) you can set-up a nice darkroom. If you want
to print slides on Ilfochrome, Ilfochrome now comes in different contrast
grades so making contrast masks is not always necessary.

The reason I use a wet darkroom is two fold. I sit in front of a computer
most of every day. And even though it's photography related, getting out
and taking photographs is a necessary activity. Likewise I don't want to
sit in front of my computer to make prints.

And the main reason is that I rarely make prints smaller than 16x20. 11x14
occasionally. 20x24 mostly. And I matt and frame them, so a computer
printer just won't do it. And I cannot afford an Iris printer. And I cannot
afford to buy a 4x5 scanner or have my 4x5 work scanned.

IMHO, I think for simple photography, prints for yourself and family, your
office, etc., the digital route is great. But for serious, archival, large
prints, it's difficult, without enormous expense, to beat an old fashioned
darkroom.

Jim