Subject: Re: [Leica] HP Photosmart Scanner
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 15:46:43 -0400

At 03:31 PM 21-05-98 -0500, you wrote:

>I don't know the relevence, but I just checked a HP catalog and it indicates
>that the
>Photosmart "is" a 30 bit scanner ?

yes, this is the confusing part.  The scanner is capable of 30 bit scans.
The author of Vuesmart claims that in spite of this, the software from HP
that comes with the scanner will only read 24 bits, whereas his program
WILL read all 30 bits (and write 16 bit TIFF files, if you have a program
that can do much with them).  This is what I can't verify.  In any case, I
do seem to be able to get better scans from problematic b/w negs with
vuesmart than with HPs software.

Dan C.