Subject: [Leica] Eisenstaedt and Leicas
From: "Noel H. Charchuk" <nhcharch@calcna.ab.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 20:37:55 -0600 (MDT)

I picked up a used copy of "People" published by Penguin Books. It
features portraits of people from 1928 to 1978, by Eisenstaedt. After
studying these photgraphs, I can see why primitive people feared having
photographs taken of them, because they were afraid of their soul being
stolen. Many of these portraits have indeed "captured the soul" of the
subject.
On the Leica subject, in the foreword, Eisenstaedt speaks of his
photography, and there are many pictures of him with his subjects. In the
pictures where his camera is visible, Leica M's are featured. As I am a
LTM kind of guy, I can't tell what they are, but in one from 1946, with
Hirohito, it looks like a III, with a wide angle, and viewfinder mounted.
He has a Rolleiflex in two pictures, and a couple of pictures show him
carrying the M, and a SLR that reminds me of a Miranda. He mentions
Leicas, and Nikon, but the SLR doesn't look like any Nikon I remember.
The ISBN is 0 14 00.5073 6, for those who would like to try hunt it down,
it was $9 well invested, and has inspired me to try improve my candid
portraits.

Noel Charchuk
Calgary, Alberta