Subject: RE: [Leica] Fast M6 Focusing - Was Something Else!
From: Michael Garmisa <kilemall@shell.excelsior.net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 18:14:59 -0400 (EDT)

On 23-May-98 AJSymi wrote:

> << How do you focus so quickly with an M6 on the street when a scene
>  comes up out of the blue? >>
>
> I first pre-focus the camera using the focusing scale on the top ot the lens.
> For example, with the 35mmf2.0 asph lens, I set the aperture on f8 and set
> the
> "30" foot mark at the f8 mark on the right side of the lens. Now everything
> from about 5 to 30 feet in is focus. I then take an average meter reading (if
> the light changes with cloud cover or something, I"ll do this more often) and
> set the shutter speed (1/500, thereabout).  Mind you, I'm using black and
> white film, with plenty of latitude.  So if the exposure isn't dead on
> perrrrfect, we correct that in the darkroom.
snip

I use a similar method, usually hovering over f8/11 and taking period readings
with a minolta autometer III as i feel the light changing, however I don't just
point and click. I do focus which is fairly quick since you dont have to go
back and forth to get the sharpest image like you do with a SLR. I don't worry
if the subject is perfectly in focus and  just hit the shutter release at the
right moment, even if its not perfectly focused i figure the depth of feild
will give me enough lattitude to be off by a little.

I use a 90mm collapsible elmar and am planning to buy a new lens.  I'm trying
to decide between a 50 summicron or a 35mm  summicron or summilux with goggles
(I have an M3).  I noticed you use a 35asp, just wondering how well that works
on the street as I like the 90mm because it allows me to distance myself from
the action while remaining in a good place to record it.  I thought the 50
would be good enough for when I simply can't back up, but everyone seems to
really love the 35.  Also the 90 is great cause it only takes half the
veiwfinder.  Just wondering how you use like that 35 on the street, seems like
you would really be in the subjects face.  What lenses does everyone else use
on the street?

- --
Michael Garmisa <kilemall@shell.excelsior.net>  ICQ# 11583837
http://shell.excelsior.net/~kilemall/       23-May-9818:14:38