Subject: RE: [Leica] Fast M6 Focusing - Was Something Else!
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 19:40:40 -0700

Your method seems a bit more sane......at least you attempt to pull
off a focus before you shoot.  You have a higher chance of hitting it within
the sharp zone that someone who shoots hyperfocally without turning the
ring at all.

I also use the 35/2 ASPH on the M6HM and I love it for shooting street stuff
AND models, believe it or not.  Some of my favorite shots are with the 35/2
at about 5.6 or 8.  Just enough DOF to show the surroundings and give nice
bokeh, but not enough to be a distraction from the center of attention.

I use the 50/2 for models as well and find it is perfect for getting in
tight and
for close up shots from about 1 meter.  I almost always shoot this lens around
5.6 or 8 for adequate DOF close up.

I rarely use my 90/2.8 for models since the frame is only 1/2 the finder and
focusing precisely is sometimes difficult.  Instead, I go to the R4 with the
100 APO and 180/2.8 when I want to get more distance.

On recent shoots I have been using an M6HM with 35/2 ASPH and 50/2
and an R4 with 100 and 180.  This provides all I need.

My 24/2.8 ASPH and my 90/2.8 sit in the closet collecting dust.  I never use
them.  Anyone want to sell a mint 280/2.8 APO-Telyt, 280/4 APO or a
mint Noctilux?  Trade?   :-)

At 06:14 PM 5/23/98 -0400, Michael Garmisa wrote:

>On 23-May-98 AJSymi wrote:
>> In a message dated 98-05-23 02:11:37 EDT, you write:
>>
>> << How do you focus so quickly with an M6 on the street when a scene
>>  comes up out of the blue? >>
>>
>> I first pre-focus the camera using the focusing scale on the top ot the
lens.
>> For example, with the 35mmf2.0 asph lens, I set the aperture on f8 and set
>> the
>> "30" foot mark at the f8 mark on the right side of the lens. Now everything
>> from about 5 to 30 feet in is focus. I then take an average meter
reading (if
>> the light changes with cloud cover or something, I"ll do this more
often) and
>> set the shutter speed (1/500, thereabout).  Mind you, I'm using black and
>> white film, with plenty of latitude.  So if the exposure isn't dead on
>> perrrrfect, we correct that in the darkroom.
>snip
>
>I use a similar method, usually hovering over f8/11 and taking period
readings
>with a minolta autometer III as i feel the light changing, however I don't
just
>point and click. I do focus which is fairly quick since you dont have to go
>back and forth to get the sharpest image like you do with a SLR. I don't
worry
>if the subject is perfectly in focus and  just hit the shutter release at the
>right moment, even if its not perfectly focused i figure the depth of feild
>will give me enough lattitude to be off by a little.
>
>I use a 90mm collapsible elmar and am planning to buy a new lens.  I'm trying
>to decide between a 50 summicron or a 35mm  summicron or summilux with
goggles
>(I have an M3).  I noticed you use a 35asp, just wondering how well that
works
>on the street as I like the 90mm because it allows me to distance myself from
>the action while remaining in a good place to record it.  I thought the 50
>would be good enough for when I simply can't back up, but everyone seems to
>really love the 35.  Also the 90 is great cause it only takes half the
>veiwfinder.  Just wondering how you use like that 35 on the street, seems
like
>you would really be in the subjects face.  What lenses does everyone else use
>on the street?
>
>--
>Michael Garmisa <kilemall@shell.excelsior.net>  ICQ# 11583837
>http://shell.excelsior.net/~kilemall/       23-May-9818:14:38