Subject: Re: [Leica] Fast M6 Focusing - Was Something Else!
From: AJSymi <AJSymi@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 03:43:44 EDT

Ted Grant wrote:

<< This is a complete reversal to my normal method of photography where I try
 to use the widest possible aperture and highest possible shutter speed. I
 always try to keep the subject separated from the back ground and make it
 stand out, rather than having it lost in a maze of "infocus" back ground
 and clutter. >>

Ted:

Your method is fine, I've seen your great images.  However, using the
hyperfocal setting usually will bring the background into focus, or at least
to a point where you can make out what is going on in the background.  I like
this method because it puts the subject in their environment, it tells a
story.  I'm no pro, but I learned this from looking at great reportage shots,
especially from war correspondents--where you might see a shot of an innocent
child, and the horror of a war-torn city in the "visible" background.  A whole
story, tons of emotion, ten thousand words, from a single shot!!

Just my take on it.  Advice encouraged.

Arturo