Subject: [Leica] Panarama (was Leica-Users List Digest V3 #62)
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 09:58:32 +0200

Alastair,  I personally would use a prime lens of at least 50mm.=20
Definately not a zoom.  Dennis Painter mentioned 2nd nodal point for
the swing axis but I cannot elaborate.  All I know is that the film
must swing to simulate the geometry of the curved film plane of the
super expensive Linhof panarama cameres.

A few years ago I accepted a commission to take a photograph of a house
in its natural settings.  It was in the suburbs of Gothenburg.  I
climbed the nearby hill to look across at the house with the city
skyline behind it and thought what a good panoramic scene it would
make.  What a mistake that was.  I had never done one before and it
took me two weeks to get an acceptable picture because I was learning
fast that a panoramic series uses every ounce of photographic knowledge
available.  I kid you not.  I had a two week crash course in lens
optics, exposure control, perspective, edge distortion etc.  Then came
matching and pasting the seperate images together.  I tried colour at
first but that was a total failure, as the blue sky changed hue too
suddenly in the commercial prints I had made.  These first prints also
contained all the other errors like a stone in the foreground could not
be matched at the same time as the skyline.

I switched to BW and the FUN really started.  And I mean FUN.  I really
started to enjoy matching up the seperate images in my then temporary
darkroom and discovering massive holes in my knowledge of photographic
theory.  =20

I advised 50% overlap because film is cheap, and I must have tramped up
that hill a dozen times in those two weeks.  The money I received for
the final print put me in the minus but I really enjoyed doing it.  For
an absorbing project I can think of few things to match the quest for a
perfect panorama print to hang on a wall.  And have lots and lots of
FUN.

Alan Hull
 ---------
> Fr=E5n: Alastair Firkin=20