Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder Accuracy Tester
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 09:53:27 -0400

Hello All,

Recently I acquired a "good-user" M4-P, my first M camera.  There's much
to like about it, but since rangefinder cameras don't provide TTL
focusing, there's no way to be sure that a new body or lens focuses
accurately short of shooting pictures of yardsticks, etc.

What I am looking for is a rangefinder accuracy tester that an owner or
prospective purchaser can use to verify rangefinder calibration.  It
should be simple in concept:  a metal body cap with precise cams (in up to
four positions) that will simulate the effect of a lens focused at
various distances (infinity, 1 meter, 20 inches, ???).

Once a body is known to have an accurate rangefinder, it can then be
used to check whether the focusing cam on a given lens provides accurate
distance information.

Anyone seen anything like this?  Or do I have to cobble it together
myself?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

- --
Pieter Bras        pieter@world.std.com