Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #329
From: Pierre-Jean.Ternamian@wanadoo.fr
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 23:19:03 +0200

>From: Tony Chang <stchang@ivnet.com.tw>
>Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 00:49:44 +0800
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Tripod
>

>At 03:24 PM 1998/9/25 +0100, Wood, Darrell (London) wrote:
>>At the moment I use a Gitzo compact performance reporter.  I need a
lighter
>>tripod to travel & climb with.
>>I am considering purchasing a Gitz carbon fibre tripod and a Arcaswiss B2
>>head.  What are peoples views.  Is there a better combination & can the
>>price of =A3650 (approx) be justified.

>I am too new to this forum to speak about my experience about tripod and
Leica M6; but I can tell you that B2 is something like 1700g, you have to
add the weight of your tripod in carbon about 1200g if it is a serie 3
mountaineer.  B2 is too heavy if you are travelling. I have been using a B1,
about  660 g with a Gitzo serie 4 about 3000g, with a Nikon F4 and a 500mm
AF, belive me B1 is largely sufficient, and the backpack is still too heavy
to carry. of you really want carbon for the weight, what is the weight of
your camera and lens, below 6kg, choice Mountaineer serie 2, if your camera
is over or near 6 kg, choice serie 3 mountaineer, but in the two cases , for
me B1 is enought; Next you have to known that sometime when it is very cold
below zeo, your buttom on the B1 where you have the choice between 1 and 10
for knob friction, can lock. The only way to try at that time to unlock is
by going a little more to far, and the knob friction is free again.

Pierre-Jean