Subject: Re: [Leica] Age
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 17:17:57 -0700

My oldest son (now 26) at the ripe old age of 14 (1986,) worked at odd jobs
hard enough to buy a used R3 and 35-70 zoom. A few years later, be bought
an Angenieux 70-210 zoom. He eventually sold the R3 and now has an R4sP.
This past February, my daughter at age 17, saved her money and bought a new
R7 and new Leica 70-210 zoom. I gave her my 35-70 as, other than my 70-180,
I'm a prime lens kind of guy. So it all depends upon what a person wants.
These two teens clearly knew what they wanted. After looking at my pictures
and books, they said "Dad, there is no question, it has to be Leica." So
they worked and saved and bought it.

I have to say, looking at the used camera and lens prices, a person can get
a hellova used Leica outfit for about the same as they would pay for a new
brand-x. And have metal instead of plastic. And have Leica glass instead of
something else.

I bought my first Leica in 1971 at age 33, basically for my wife. Just
married, no inheritance, struggling. I also had a lot of Alpa equipment but
purchased directly from the Bourgeois' in Ballaigues for a song. It's not
so much that people cannot buy Leica equipment, it's that they don't know
why they should have Leica equipment. The average person interested in
photography will buy the latest whiz-bang auto everything lavishly
advertised camera.

While working in Darmstadt Germany (60's and early 70's) I was using Alpa
equipment. I made many many trips to the factory in Switzerland, but, even
though Darmstadt is not very far from Wetzlar, I was not aware of the
significance of Wetzlar. I was enjoying my relationship with the Samuel and
Benjamin Bourgeois and Alpa. Of course, that's what it's all about.
Enjoyment. So even though I wasn't aware of Leica, I liked my Alpa
photographic experiences. Buying a CL in 71 didn't change anything. My wife
used the CL and I continued using Alpa. It wasn't until 1976 that I became
dis-enchanted with Alpa and bought an R3. Of course the rest is history.

Jim