Subject: Re: [Leica] undeserved praise ?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 06:25:44 +0200

Alfred,

I was only trying to point a new member towards a valuable resource. I am sure
that not everyone agrees with Erwin's assessments of the various optics, but
certainly I have not seen anything else on the Web which rivals his site in terms
of thoroughness and objectivity.

In his review of the 2.0/90mm, Erwin says that while it is a fine lens, its
performance at full aperture is not that great (weak micro contrast) and
concludes that "a better alternative to a high speed medium-tele lens is the
Summilux-M 1.4/75mm".

Nathan

Alfred Breull wrote:

> Sorry, to argue on that view - it's not the only one, even
> not a good one, and it's uncomplete.
>
> If I remember correct, Erwin mentions, that the 2/90 M Summicron
> is famous for its creamy bokeh, and Laney reports, that Leitz
> needed 22 years, to surpass the first version of this lens by
> *minor* advantages (as Erwin also confirms).
>
> All in all, the 2/90 M Summicron, *1-st or 2-nd version*, is
> still the first choice for any portrait or b/w photographer.
>
> The 1.4/75 is nice, but not because of it's speed - that's an
> additional.
>
> And, the 2.8/90 is nice also, maybe because of its sharpness and
> its price, but these are not the only parameters, that count in
> photography.
>
> Alf

> Alfred Breull
> http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm