Subject: Re: [Leica] Solms Vacation
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 09:15:32 -0700

> From: AJSymi <
> Has any LUGGERS been to Solms?  Aside from having the Leica factory, what
kind
> of town is it?  Is it a nice place to visit?

Hi AJ -

I kept a journal on my last visit to Germany. Here is an excerpt regarding
my visit to Solms on my last day in there on July 12, 1994.

"A fitting climax to this trip was today's visit to the Leica factory in
Solms, just a half hour's drive west of here (Giessen). I went alone so the
boys could sleep in, and the whole tour was in German, too. After seeing
first hand the painstaking craftsmanship and quality control that goes into
every part, I understand better why the camera and lenses cost so much.

The tour leader was very friendly, quite technical at times and he even
made sure that my 28mm Elmarit got a screw replaced for the lens hood
holder. I was also fortunate to talk with a few others after the tour,
including the production manager of the M series cameras. Found out they
only make 8000-10,000 M6's per year. The tour was from about 10:30-12:30,
and I didn't leave until after 2:30. A splendid time and I want an M6 more
than ever!"

Tours are also in English on specific days of the week, but you should
contact the factory to reserve space on a tour. Be sure to get there an
hour early to view all the splendid cameras that make up the Leica family
tree in the front entry glass display cases. An interesting slide
presentation concluded the formal tour, then we were able to fondle a whole
table full of Leica equipment. If I had brought some high speed film, I
would have taken some photos inside with my own M2 using some of the new
lenses.

The factory is in a fairly modern, mostly residential area of Solms, with
none of the German charm of the old country. I don't know what the rest of
town looks like. Next time, I would plan to spend an afternoon strolling
around Wetzlar (5-10 miles away) and dining somewhere in the old part of
town where Ernst himself may have enjoyed a meal or two.

But be careful. Within a few months after that tour, I bought that M6, and
the Leica family tree inspired a growing collection of my own Leica's over
the last four years. Solms turned into an expensive tour!

Gary Todoroff