Subject: Re: [Leica]plutocrats
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Thu, 28 May 98 01:45:53 +0800

>The plutocrats of photography are in advertising and
>they dont buy 35mm. =20
>
>Alan Hull
>- ----------

Oh Alan - I fear that you are a bit wrong there since I could name a
small plethora of advertising photographers who use 35mm. OTOH I think
that you are right - Leica is not a significant player in the
professional 35mm market and price is one of the reasons. The other
reason is that Leica does not offer any technological advantage over
other 35mm cameras. You and I may love the palette of the lenses, the
history,  the mechanical feel of the machines or just the fact that they
are not Japanese (<g>) but none of these reasons is strong enough to
figure much in the pro market.

By the way I keep hearing of this PDN survey result that Leica is the 3rd
biggest 35mm brand amongst pros: I seem to recall the survey was a long
time ago (1980s) and anyway is a bit like saying Dr Peppers is 3rd after
Coke and Pepsi...

Bests,

Adrian

(on a plane between Shanghai and Hong Kong - between photographing a
paint factory opening and a portrait session with Tung Chee-Hwa, HK's
Chief Executive - all with my M6s and Fuji Astia as far as possible!)

Adrian Bradshaw
Photojournalist
Shanghai, China