Subject: Re: [Leica] retrofocus
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Thu, 28 May 98 01:46:08 +0800

>I recall that all versions of the 2.8/21 are retrofocus.  The Russian
>Russar MR-2 is not retrofocus and, of course, does allow metering, so it IS
>possible to design a non-retrofocus 20mm lens which will allow metering.  I
>seem to remember that the Canon 19mm also allows metering on an M6, as does
>the non-retrofocus 8/15 Zeiss Hologon.
>
>Marc

Hellio all,

PMFJI but it seems to me that all this talk about lens designs is rather
irrelevent in the real world: sure, view camera wide angles are true wide
angles and very wonderful but to get the best from them you need the
centre grad filters to match. BUT surely the situation in 35mm
photography is different. You are not normally using a tripod and f16 is
not the usual f-stop for 35mm shooting, centre filters are an
inconvenience at least and TTL metering would be impossible with such
lenses. Hence the Hologon 15/16 is just an interesting special
usage/exotic lens that has a market in the 3 figures max amongst
professionals* world wide.

Oh yes - I had a Canon 19mm lens once and thought it was awful - lots of
flare and fuzzy corners but very nice colour. Nice viewfinder though!

A non-retrofocus lens offers the theoretical advantage of a simpler
design and hence better manufacturing consistency plus smaller size but
vignetting is really a problem especially with exposure-sensitive colour
transparency film. The simpler design precludes the use of filters or TTL
metering or wide maximum apertures.

Leica's practical choice to go for a semi-retrofocus 21mm design offers
the possibility to improve the vignetting and TTL metering situation
without going to quite the extreme of SLR lenses which have to be more
complex and larger to accommodate the mirror. OTOH they cannot enjoy
floating elements since such innovations cause a slight change in focal
length at different distances and would play havoc with the RF coupling
precision.

All cameras and all lenses represent a compromise and those who search
for perfection must first understand the specific requirements for the
situations they face then assess the options available - not the other
way around. There is no perfect lens.

Rgds

Adrian

*FWIW a professional is IMHO somebody who produces photographs to order.
A great photographer OTOH is somebody whose style dictates what is
ordered. Money is a sticky, smelly substance that oozes in the general
vicinity of both the above and not necessarily in the wallet of the
photographer...

Adrian Bradshaw
Photojournalist
Shanghai, China