Subject: [Leica] Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 16:09:22 -0700
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 98 16:07:55 -0700

Hi all,
I'm looking to round out my expedition system, which will include an M6 with
21/35/90mm lenses and an SLR with 50mm macro and an 80-200 zoom.  For my
needs, this would mean an R6.2 with 60mm Macro Elmarit and 80-200 Vario
Elmar.  I notice that the "3-cam" versions of these lenses are available for
decent prices through KEH.com.

Questions:
*	Am I correct in assuming that the 3-cam lenses are immediate
predecessors to the "ROM" lenses for the R8?

*	I know this has been asked before, but what specifically do the ROM
lenses do other than to transmit focal length info to the R8 for use in
biasing shutter speed selection in program mode?  Is that all there is to
it?

*	Other than that, are the 3-cam lenses fully compatible with the R8?

Another alternative is that I still have my Canon F1n in good condition.  In
fact, I'm having it CLA-ed right now.  It's old and scarred, but solid, and
I trust it.  I also have the breech-mount FD 50mm f3.5, which has proven to
be a super lens.  This is one of the older metal-barreled ones with fine,
silky-feeling mechanisms.  To complete my field system, I would have to add
a zoom.  Has anyone had experience with the breech-mount FD 80-200 f4 lens?
I'd love to hear from any of you who have used this lens and can offer a
subjective comparison with the 80-200 f4 Vario-Elmar.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Jim Laurel
Microsoft Digital Television
jplaurel@microsoft.com