Subject: [Leica] Shooting Stories
From: Charles <chaslor@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 98 21:31:01 -0400

A week or so ago I related a Leica experience for the first time and Ted
Grant was kind enough to welcome more. So here's another. Traditionaly, I
just watch and lurk and absorb, the photographers way, but I feel
compelled to relate an experience.

In Central America a few weeks ago, I was on a "self assignment". I
decided on a small village in Guatemala to spend a few days. As a bit of
background, I'm primarily an advertising photographer that was on an
editorial assignment in Central America then spent a week doing personal
work. The day I arrived in a certain village, I happened upon a bizarre
funeral procession. Outragious religious outfits, wailing old women,
chanting men, chickens scurrying out of the path, otherworldly. As I
arrived, I noticed across the procession from me, arriving at the same
time, a traveller. The first non hispanic in days. Around his neck was a
black M6. Around mind was a chrome M6. We converged on the best vantage
point and were quickly admonished for taking photographs. I then noticed
another camera around his neck, a Leica SLR. A quick "how d'ya do" and we
both set out to figure out how to get involved in this thing. He
determined that the family had no objection but these "cerimonial
leaders" did'nt approve. After following the procession into a very
bizarre graveyard and finally figuring out that I was'nt going to get the
shot, I headed back to the village. A little later I met up with the
traveller and we struck up a conversation. It turns out he is a street
photographer. Roams the Earth taking photos. We sat for a beer and
exchanged lifes. He pulled from a little leather pouch about 20-30 small
BW prints that he described as his "lifes work". Stunning photographs.
From all over. Mostly Eastern Europe. He was from Greece. Obviously
inspired by HCB, he captured the joy, the despair, the common, and the
moment of life. He owns nothing except what he carrys. No home,
apartment, spouse, no possesions to speak of (his Leicas are all he cares
about). Says he keeps a few things with friends back home. A small bank
account to keep him alive. Survives off photo grants and the sales of a
few photographs. I on the other hand have a wife, a child, a house, a dog
and cat, 2 cars, a studio, a business, and all the other baggage
associated with life as I know it. It turns out we envy each other. Me, I
envy his freedom, his experiences, his work, his ideals; but not his
lonliness, his longing for stability, his isolation from society as we
know it. He envied my stability, my business, my ability to transform a
passion of photography into a sucessfull career, my domestic life; but
not my baggage, being forced to shoot endless stupid things, the anchor I
must carry.

During the next three days we wandered the village taking photos and ran
into each other frequently. Not a big place, 6 or so blocks each way off
a central square. We drank together, swapped stories, exchanged ideas and
ideals. We had much in common yet were so different. I am totally amazed
by the fact that in this whole world, the two of us happened upon the
same village at the same time for the same reason, to shoot. And the bond
we experienced was felt in that first moment, we saw ourselves across
that funeral procession, Leica in hand. It was the M6 we saw first. We
knew in each other a purpose. During lunch one day, we exchanged cameras.
Each of carried only a 35 on our M6, he a Summicron and I a Summilux. He
felt that I did'nt need that extra stop and offered and even swap. HA! He
changed me. I see differently becouse of his eyes. He (and many more like
him) is down there somewhere. In a remote village of the Third World,
making photos we all dream of making. Photos of life.

I apologize if I ramble on and on but it seems as though this has
relevance in our lifes.

Charles