Subject: [Leica] Re: R8 design, Erwins design review
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 20:24:01 +0200

On 29-05-1998 23:36 Lucien wrote:

>I always put the strap between my hand and the camera body
>when I grab the camera.
>
>The Motor-Drive will solve the problem in the future.

Yes, Lucien, that's how I am doing it also. But it still feels somewhat
in the wrong place. Could you explain how the motor-drive will change
that? I thought that the strap lug will remain at the same place as it
won't be replaced by the motor-drive's handgrip.

Now that we are at it: there is one minor nuisance with the R8, that is
the fact that the film counter is not "live". By that I mean you have to
trip the shutter to see at what view number you are (and this also
activates the meter, so you are wasting battery if you only want to check
the film advance).
Not so with Nikon, where the film counter is always visible on the LCD
screen, even if the camera is turned off. That would be something for the
engineers to remember for the next Leica R body. I have also told this at
the people of Leica's Belgian distributor, hoping they will pass on the
message.
Apart from this, you would be very hard pressed to find any major
nuisances with this camera.

Pascal

Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium notebooks for lunch